As the brand new federal guidlines for disclosure of bioengineered meals (within the type of the National Bioengineered Food Disclosure Law) are anticipated to be introduced quickly, let’s check out what you really want to find out about genetically modified organisms, genetically modified crops, and genetically modified meals.
Walk into any grocery retailer and also you’ll see numerous totally different labels plastered throughout a selection of food packaging. And with out extra data accompanying these labels (what does “all natural” really imply?), they might trigger extra confusion than readability, in addition to enhance the price of a food product.
We know you could have questions on GMOs – from the protection of GMOs, to why farmers and food firms use them, to what meals (or food elements) have been developed utilizing genetic engineering. In an article at the GMO Answers website, we break down 10 issues you must find out about GMOs so that you could decipher any non-GMO and GMO labels with ease.
- Yes, GMOs are secure
- There are solely 10 GMO crops commercially out there within the U.S.
- Most meals don’t have a GMO counterpart
- Genetic modification in crops isn’t new
- Improving a plant doesn’t routinely make it a GMO
- GMOs undergo in depth analysis and testing earlier than coming to market
- GMOs don’t trigger allergy symptoms
- Farmers develop GMO crops for very particular causes
- GMOs assist shield our surroundings
- To make good food selections, get to know GMOs…No, actually!
Filed beneath: Farmer Gene, Food And Agriculture, Inside BIO Industry Analysis, bioengineered ingredients, food lables, GMO, gmo FAQ, GMO labeling, gmo labels, GMOs, gmos and grocery story, labels, National Bioengineered Food Disclosure Standard, Non-GMO Label, USDA Bioengineered Food Disclosure Standard